Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sausage and Cheese Crescent Squares

Sausage and Cheese Crescent Squares original recipe is here.  I'm always looking for tasty recipes that are easy to make, tasty and not absolutely horrible for my family.  This is a great recipe to use if you're having guests over.  Even before I made it, I figured that I could make it lot healthier, so I cut out half the cheese and substituted turkey sausage for regular sausage.  It really turned out great!

INGREDIENTS
2  cans (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 lb spicy or mild bulk pork sausage  
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)

Ingredient edits: I used Turkey crumbles.  Less fat and less work because they are already cooked. 
I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and only used 1/2 the package until of the whole. I think if I make it again, I will use regular cream cheese.  It might just be in my head, but I felt like I could taste the difference between the lower fat and the real kind.  I cut the shredded cheese amount in half too.



I opened both cans of crescent rolls before I remembered to take the picture, but I had one that wasn't too destroyed before I snapped the shot. LOL


DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 375°F. 2
Unroll 1 can of dough into 2 long rectangles.
Place in ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish; press over bottom


In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until brown. Remove sausage from skillet and drain drippings. To same skillet, add cream cheese. Cook over low heat until melted. Add cooked sausage; stir to coat. Spoon evenly over crust in baking dish.  Because I used turkey crumbles which did not need to be fried, I just heated up the cream cheese and then stirred them together.  So much easier.


Sprinkle with cheese. (Even with the cheese cut in half, there was plenty to go around.)

Unroll second can of dough on work surface. Press to form 13x9-inch rectangle; firmly press perforations to seal. Carefully place over cheese.


Bake 21 to 26 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Cut into small squares.

Pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment