Friday, March 9, 2012

Jambalaya & Cheddar Biscuits

I have only tried to make Jambalaya once and it was from a Zataran's mix a long time ago.  Last night was the first time I'd tried to make it from scratch.  My dad used to make it all the time when I was a kid.  I probably should have asked him for his recipe.  That would have been smarter, but I didn't.  Nothing like starting from scratch when you don't have to. LOL. I do have a couple of his that I will be posting soon.  Anyway, I started with this recipe and then altered it.

Ingredients

  • Sausage, sliced into rounds (I used pork & turkey sausage)
  • Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 4 chicken breasts)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used the kind with oregano & basil)
  • 1/2 a can of tamato sauce (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
I started out sauteing the chicken (since it would take the longest) along with the garlic in a little bit of Olive Oil.


I made minute rice in another pot and set it aside.  When the chicken was done, I tossed it in with the rice, which was done, and added the drained can of tomatoes.  I turned the rice back on low and mixed in the dry ingredients (pepper, salt, red pepper, worcestershire sauce).

I sliced up the sausge and put it in the frying pan, flipping it occassionally while I chopped up the two celery stalks and put them in the frying pan with the sausage.  When the sausage was done, I added it in to the rice mixture using a slotted spoon so the grease stayed behind in the frying pan.  I mixed it all up and added a little tomato sauce to calm down the spice when I thought it needed it.  That part is optional.

Here's the finished product still in the pot.  YUM!


My little one did not have any. :)


While cooking the chicken, I started making the Cheddar Biscuits, which was a Pinterest find.  (There was no original link.  I don't know where the recipe came from but after googling it, I found this, which might be the original location.  The picture sure looks suspiciously similiar.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

2 c. Bisquick
2/3 c. milk
1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 c. melted butter
1/4 tsp. garlic salt

Mix Bisquick, milk and cheddar until a soft ball forms.  Drop by balls onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.


Mix butter and garlic while biscuits are baking it.  Brush it on the biscuits while they are hot and still on the baking pan. I did a couple of layers of the mixture.


This meal was SO good.  We loved the biscuits and it was good to have bread with a spicy meal.  (We usually don't eat bread with meals just because of the additional calories.)  I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment