Sunday, March 4, 2012

Picture Coasters

This is a very quick and easy craft!  The original blogger suggested using paint samples which would work nicely.  I'm sure that any picture or cardstock would work well.  It's super cheap to make as well.  The tiles are like 20 cents or something.  The most expensive part is the two different kinds of mod podge, which were probably $12 or so.

All you need is tiles, Mod Podge, spray acrylic, a picture, and cork or felt.


This was the first time that the previous blogger used Mod Podge and it was my first time too!  It works pretty well.  First you cut the picture down to the size of the tile and then use a layer of Mod Podge to apply the picture to the tile.   Then paint over the picture with a few layers of Mod Podge.  Let the Mod Podge dry between each layer.



I did two layers of painting Mod Podge and one layer of spraying on the clear acrylic sealer.  After it dried, it looked like this.  It's a little shiny and you can see the glue a little in certain light, but all in all, it looks pretty good.

I flipped it over and added on the felt pieces.  The ones I bought had a peel off sticker to make it easier.

Done!  
This was a pretty quick and easy craft.  I think I might make a couple for my son's two grandmothers, but first I want to test it to see what happens if you spill water and coffee on it.  I'll have to update once I try that out.

The original source is here.

3 comments:

  1. You need to seal it or the mod podge will break down as soon as it gets wet. I have some if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sprayed it with clear acrylic sealer. Is there something else you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful, but it begs the question of why anyone would want to cover that beautiful child's face with a beverage.

    ReplyDelete