Monday, March 19, 2012

Baked Mozzarella Sticks

Okay seriously, these are so good that a few weeks after I posted this my husband came home from work with a package of string cheese asking if I would make them again. LOL!

I found the original recipe here.  If you are interested in nutritional info (including Weight Watchers points, she has listed the information on her site).

We absolutely loved these!  They were incredibly tasty.  My husband and I should have had a guest over so we didn't eat them all by ourselves.  ;)  Not included in the ingredients is a dipping sauce. I used Barilla Tomato & Basil marinara sauce.  When I made them a second time we used pizza sauce to dip and it was even better!

Ingredients:

12 sticks part-skim, reduced sodium mozzarella string cheese 
1 large egg, beaten
5 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
5 tbsp panko crumbs
2 tsp parmesan cheese
olive oil cooking spray

Ingredient changes:

The recipe called for dried parsley but I had run out so I didn't use it.  That was fine.  I don't think it needs it. It also calls for 2 tbsp of flour, which is pictured below but is not needed.  I used the flour the first time I made these and then left it out the second time and there was no change.   Also, I used Pam spray the first time and real olive oil in my misto the second time with no change in results.  The recipe also calls for way too many breadcrumbs.  You could probably get away with using half.


Directions:

Cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.

In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish. In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and dried parsley. 

(Pictured below in my beloved mis-matched pottery bowls.  I have a friend who is a potter who gives me some and I also buy some at the local pottery sale every year. Love!) 


Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs.
Repeat this process with the remaining cheese placing them on a tray with wax paper. Place cheese back into the freezer until ready to bake (this is a must or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
When ready to bake preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil.


Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake in the bottom third of your oven until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 4 - 5 minutes watching them closely so they don't melt.  (I ended up taking mine out a minute early.)


These are yummy, melty and delicious!  I definitely recommend them but its best to serve them right away.

Makes 24 pieces. (If you're playing the home game, you might notice we only had 22 pieces because I ate one of the string cheeses. LOL.)

3 comments:

  1. INCREDIBLY yummy. I could eat these every day, but I doubt they're SO healthy that that'd be a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this! I wish there was a way to get string cheese other than individually wrapped though. Were they individually wrapped in that big bag? I will have to be on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they were. They might sell them somewhere. If you had a block of mozzarella and chopped it up, that would work too.

      Delete